While I was in Portland a couple weeks back, my mom surprised me with a bunch of onesies that she had put together for my little Oliver while she was making stuff for and with my sister for her new little one on its way.
My fave was this funny little nerd shirt-as I like to call it.
My mom has this thing for suspenders, as a kid it was kind of humiliating, I mean "parents just don''t understand" and all of that right? She wanted me in suspenders while I just really wanted to wear boxers over my pants!
Well now I can see their appeal, especially on cute little babies.
Problem though, my mom made this bowtie out of fabric that she didn''t pre-wash. When I washed it, the whole shirt was ruined and stained brown, plus the bowtie wrinkled up bad and wouldn''t lay flat.
So I transferred the pieces over to a new shirt and sewed the bowtie completely down to the shirt on all sides so that it would stay put.
I love him in it!
One more little problem though-he is rolling all over the place right now and those big buttons really bother him when he is on his tummy-so I will have to reserve that one for church...
...and I made him one that he can wear any day.
First you will need your supplies...which you probably already have laying around if you have a baby and if you craft or sew.
Onesie (with shoulder fold overs like this one)
Buttons (flat if you have a roller or tummy time kid)
Needle & Thread
First you will need to make a bowtie.
Then you just attach it all to the shirt!
- To make it easier to sew on the bowtie, I sewed a small piece of ribbon onto the neck of the shirt (and I messed up on the numbering #4 should actually be #2) then I wrapped the bowtie in the small piece of ribbon and sewed it into the inside so that no thread shows on the front of the shirt.
- Sew down the edges of bowtie, especially if you made it out of fabric.
- For the suspenders-Fold over the ribbon and sew the button onto the fold, that way you don''t have to worry about fraying or trying to get a clean edge.
- (see step #1)
- Sew the other end of the suspender ribbon under the shoulder piece on the onesie.
- Sew the button onto the shirt-really tight and secure, you don''t want baby pulling it off and choking!
- Take picture of cute baby wearing his little nerd shirt.
Giggle when your baby makes this face and poses just like a little nerd! :)
Love it! Thanks for the inspiration mama!