Welcome back to the third instalment of the winter dress
series! Today''s post is about how to make this very,
very simple jumper. I made my pattern by tracing
around one of the girls'' existing jumpers, my favorite
I Am Lazy method of pattern-making. If you are
sewing for similar-aged children, feel free to use
my knockoff patterns below:
Of course only the upper portion could actually fit on
the paper, so here are the instructions on how to get
the lower portion. This way you can make the A-line as
flared or as narrow as you want by following the
existing slant at point A (or C) or changing it.
So, here''s how it works:
But for those who want a little more detail, here''s the tutorial:Step 1
- Use the pattern you printed out to cut the front and back facings.
- Use the pattern you extrapolated to cut the front and back jumper pieces.
- Sew up the side seams.
- Join facing to jumper pieces.
- Sew buttonholes and buttons (or use giant press-studs).
As said, cut out the front and back facings and the front and back jumper pieces. Add your own seam allowances!
before sewing any seams.Incidentally, here''s how the ruffles are made:
1 Cut strips (ungathered length = 2x gathered length) of fabric and finish the long edges with a rolled hem on the serger.
2 Sew a long running stitch along the middle of the strip:
3 Pull on one (either top or bottom) thread from both ends to gather to desired length.
4 Pin in place on dress and stitch down with matching thread.
5 Remove ugly white thread with seam ripper. Or, if you had used matching thread to sew the long running stitches, you can skip this.
- Line up bottom edges of armscyes of jumper pieces, right sides facing, and sew the side seams.
- Serge/finish the seam allowance.
- Repeat step 3 for the facing pieces.
- Serge/finish the bottom hem.
- Turn completed facing from step 4 right side out.
- Insert into jumper - right sides of facing touching right sides of jumper.
- Line up the edges and pin in place.
- Sew to attach facing to jumper.
- Trim and snip/notch the seam allowance all around.
Step 7Turn right side out and press the seams flat.