Baby Car Seat Blanket Pattern
You must try this baby car seat blanket pattern - it''s just so easy, but it has a neat design twist - a hole.
A hole? Yes - never drop that blanket on the ground in a wet parkinglot again. This blanket has a slit in the middle so that the crotch strap of the seatbelt can be threaded through. A very functional blanket - not too fancy, so it can be for boys or girls just by varying the colorways, but very useful indeed.The perfect gift for a new Mom!
This baby car seat blanket pattern works out to 24 x 17 inches. I worked it in Red Heart Soft Baby sport weight 3ply acrylic. You''ll need 1 x 7oz skein of your main color, plus I used small amounts of 2 contrast colors. Hook size - 4mm, G-6.
You''ll need to know these stitches...chain, single crochet,slip stitch and double crochet.
Ok - now for the instructions for this baby car seat blanket pattern...Chain 71
- Single crochet in 2nd chain from hook, single crochet in each chain to end (70sts). Turn.
- Chain 1, single crochet in each chain to end.
- Repeat row 2 every row as follows...Main color - 20 rows (total), then 10 row block of 2 contrast, 2 main, 2 contrast, 2 main, 2 contrast, 16 main, 2 contrast.
- Next row chain 1, single crochet in next 34 stitches, turn.
- Working on these 35 stitches only, work 14 rows alternating2 main color, 2 contrast rows. Find out how to join in contrast colors here. Break off yarn.
- Starting from the center, rejoin yarn and work on remaining 35 stitches for 14 rows as per previous row. Break off yarn.
- Using contrast color starting on the right side, join yarn atright end of row and work across all 70 stitches for 2 rows.
- Then work 16 main, 2 contrast, 2 main, 2 contrast, 2 main, 2 contrast and the 20 main to finish main part of the blanket.
- Begin border - without breaking yarn, chain 1, 1 single crochet in base of chain, then single crochet in each stitch across the blanket end, 3 single crochet in corner stitch, 1 single crochet in end of each row, 3 single crochet in corner stitch, single crochet in each stitch across blanket end, 3 single crochet in corner stitch, single crochet in end of each row, 1 single crochet in beginning corner stitch, join with slip stitch to chain.
- Working this row in contrast repeat previous row working singlecrochet into each single crochet stitch and 3 single crochet in eachcorner stitch.
- Work 2 rows main, 1 contrast, then use main for the scallop edging.
- Chain 2, 5 double crochet into corner stitch, *skip 2 stitches, single crochet in next stitch, **skip 2 stitches,5 double crochet in next stitch, skip 2 stitches, single crochet in next stitch, repeat from ** to corner working 9 double crochet in cornerstitch, repeat from * along next edge, working 9 double crochetin each corner stitch. When you get back to the starting corner, work 3 more double crochet in same corner stitch then join with slip stitch to chain 2.
- Finish center hole by joining in main at one end of slit, chain 1,1 single crochet in each row end, 1 single crochet in end of slit,1 single crochet in each row end and 1 single crochet in end of slit, join with slip stitch to chain 1.
- Finish off ends and you''re all done.
What a great baby car seat blanket pattern, don''t you agree? Bet you''ll be making loads of these as gifts.
The striping is up to you. The above is just the way I did mine. You couldwork it plain - just don''t forget the ''hole'' formed in the middle 14 rows!
Why not try working some slip stitch designs on yours? Monogram the corner with babys'' initials in slip stitch. Why not check out this amazing range of
cross stitch designs
you could use, or work a
reversible cross stitch
design onto the single crochet background.
There are tons of variations for this versatile baby car seat blanket pattern. Just open your mind to the possibilities and get creative.
Here''s a thought - why not make some flower designs for a girl andstitch them on with something crinkly trapped inside, or stitch a rattlingsomething inside shapes for a boy - squares, circles, rectangles...
A blanket with built in entertainment. It could even be used as a toy in the house with a hole to post things through and such fun attachments - just be certain that baby can''t get the fun bits out!
So another project for your delight - make this baby car seat blanket pattern up today. You never know when you''ll be hearing about another baby coming along.
NOTE: It has been brought to my attention that the use of this type of blanket in a car seat may affect coverage by car seat manufacturers in the event of an accident. Please use the finished blanket at your own risk. Woolcrafting.com does not accept liability for damages caused in any accident.
There are an estimated 1.4 million orphans in South Africa, many of them as a result of losing their parents to HIV AIDS. The number is growing - over 500 children a day become orphans. This is a terrible and mostly unrecognized human tragedy.
Knit-a-square.com has been recently set up to ask the knitters and crocheters of the world to send an 8" x 8" (20cm x 20cm) square or more to specified charities in South Africa, and soon Zimbabwe, where they will be made up into blankets for these children.
The orphans live in terrible poverty. They need love, shelter, food, education and warmth. Many charities are working hard to provide the first four. The knitters and crocheters of the world can provide the last.
NEW - Baby car seat sleepsuit pattern - be the first to see it!
Try this lattice scarf pattern - a gift for Mom too!
How about a felted wool purse?
Go to Free Easy Crochet Patterns
Return to Homepage from Baby Car Seat Blanket Pattern